Healthy Recipes for Winter
Salmon with Cauliflower Mash
- 1 medium size cauliflower, stem removed
- Sea salt
- Break cauliflower into large pieces and add to pot.
- Add salt and pepper; cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove cauliflower from pot, strain and mash with a large fork or blend in a food processor, adding 50-100ml of milk for texture.
- Place salmon, skin side up on a plate then drizzle with olive oil, rub sea salt into skin.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add salmon to pan, skin side down.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until salmon skin is crisp.
- Turn salmon and cook until sealed, drizzle with soy sauce and lemon juice.
Place Cauliflower mash onto large plate and salmon on top, serve with herbs or a side of greens if desired.
Quick and Healthy Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1 can of black beans, drained, and rinsed
- Half a bbq chicken taken off the bone
- 2 avocados, mashed lightly
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yoghurt or (sour cream)
- Stir the lime juice and coriander into the rice.
- Divide rice between four shallow bowls and top with black beans.
- Add chicken on top of the rice and beans.
- Add avocado and top with salsa and Greek yogurt(sour cream).
- Add any additional toppings you desire, eg cheese.
Roasted Butternut Pumpkin/ Squash Soup
- 1.25kg med size butternut pumpkin/squash, take out seeds and peel, then cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion sliced into half moons
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Half tsp ground cumin
- Half cup coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 Tbsp butter (preferably grass fed)
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- Add sea salt for taste
- Preheat oven to 220C/ 425F.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add in the cubed butternut squash, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, toss the ingredients to season.
- Then pour the seasoned butternut squash into lined baking dish, then pour over the melted coconut oil.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the butternut squash is tender.
- While the butternut squash is baking, heat the butter in a skillet.
- Cook the sliced onion on a low heat, stir frequently until turning golden and softened.
- Once the butternut squash is done, remove from the oven.
- Blend the butternut squash, onions and chicken broth until smooth, or you can use a stick blender to blend these together in a pot.
- Once blended together, stir in the coconut milk.
- Taste the soup then add sea salt as desired for taste. Yum!